20 Apr 350 Vaginal Mesh Lawsuits in AMS MDL Have Been Resolved
Last Friday, American Medical Systems, Inc. (AMS) announced that it had “compromised and settled” more than 350 vaginal mesh lawsuits pending in the West Virginia multidistrict litigation (MDL).
A subsidiary of Endo International PLC, AMS is one of many medical device manufacturers that has been accused of making defective transvaginal mesh devices, which are used in the treatment of pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. In fact, thousands of lawsuits have been filed against Endo and others, contending that these defective transvaginal mesh devices cause women to suffer serious – and, in some cases, painful and permanent – injuries, including (but by no means limited to):
- Recurring pelvic organ prolapse
- Erosion of the mesh through the vaginal lining
- Pain during intercourse
- Intense pelvic pain
- Perforation of the organs/blood vessels surrounding the implant.
Although AMS has not released the details regarding how much the 350+ vaginal mesh lawsuits were settled for, it seems clear at this point that AMS and Endo are ready to put this litigation behind them.
A Look at Prior AMS Settlements: How Other AMS Vaginal Mesh Lawsuits Were Resolved
- September 2014 – Endo announces that it had reached a settlement that would resolve “substantially all” of the cases it was facing. A notable part of this settlement was that Endo did not admit liability or fault for its allegedly defective vaginal mesh devices.
- May 2014 – AMS announces that it would pay $830 million to resolve “a substantial majority” of the lawsuits it was facing.
- April 2014 – Endo announces that it had reached settlement agreements with several of the firms overseeing plaintiffs’ claims, resolving about 20,000 cases.
- June 2013 – Endo agrees to pay $54.5 million to resolve an unspecified number of vaginal mesh lawsuits.
Commenting on the AMS vaginal mesh settlement reached in September, Rajiv De Silva, president and CEO of Endo stated:
We are very pleased to resolve substantially all of the remaining U.S. vaginal mesh litigation claims facing our AMS business… We believe that these settlements will also allow the AMS business to continue its return to growth and enhance focus on the operations and profitability of this leading medical device franchise.
Phoenix Vaginal Mesh Injury Lawyer at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
Have you or a loved one been hurt by defective transvaginal mesh – or by any defective medical device or product? If so, a Phoenix personal injury lawyer at the Law Office of Richard Langerman is here for you, ready to fight for your rights to compensation and justice.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively defending their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom against defense attorneys, corporate lawyers and insurance company agents alike. In addition to having extensive experience handling complex product liability cases, our attorneys are also skilled at overseeing motor vehicle accident lawsuits, insurance bad faith cases and various other types of personal injury cases.
Learn More during a Free Consult
To set up a free, no obligations initial consult with a Phoenix personal injury lawyer, call us today at (602) 240-5525 or send us an email using the contact form at the bottom of this page.
From our offices in Phoenix, we provide superior legal services and representation to clients throughout the state of Arizona.