10 Jun 5 Important Facts about Drunk Driving Accidents and Lawsuits (Pt. 2)
Picking up where we left off in 5 Important Facts about Drunk Driving Accidents and Lawsuits (Pt. 1), here are some more interesting and compelling facts about DUI accidents.
Fact 2 – The legal limits for truckers is half of what it is for other drivers.
For people with standard drivers’ licenses, the legal limit throughout the U.S. 0.08. This means that, when drivers have blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) that are 0.08 or greater, they are legally considered to be drunk, and they can be arrested for DUI.
For people with commercial drivers’ licenses (like truck drivers), however, the legal limit is half of this – or 0.04. This means that it can take as little as one or two beers or cocktails to put truck drivers over the legal limit. Here, it’s also important to point out that:
- Truckers’ impairments can be far more dangerous and deadly than those for other drivers, as even the slightest misstep in heavy trucks can cause catastrophic accidents even when trucks are traveling at slow speeds. This is because fully loaded semis can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds.
- When factors like fatigue, distraction or other negligence compound intoxication, the risk of truck accidents increases dramatically.
Fact 3 – Drug use is a common cause of DUI accidents.
Unfortunately, alcohol use is not the only thing that can impair drivers’ abilities and cause DUI accidents. In fact, the use of illegal, prescription and over-the-counter drugs can all also impact drivers’ cognition, result in intoxication and cause DUI accidents.
In these cases, proving that drug use has been a factor in causing car accidents may be done through blood tests, and evidence such as the following may further support victims’ cases:
- Findings of drugs on a person or his property (which may be the case if police search a motorist immediately after an accident)
- The negligent drivers’ criminal record (especially if it includes past convictions for drug offenses)
- The negligent drivers’ medical history (specifically if it shows that these drivers have a current prescription for drugs that are known to impair cognition and the ability to drive safely).
Stay posted for the final installment of this blog for our continued discussion regarding drunk driving accidents, lawsuits and compensation for victims.
Phoenix Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
If you have been hurt in an drunk driving accident or in any type of motor vehicle accident, the Phoenix car accident lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman will fight to help you obtain the highest possible settlement to cover your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively standing up for their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom. In addition to having extensive experience handling motor vehicle accident lawsuits, our attorneys are also skilled at overseeing product liability cases, insurance bad faith cases and various other types of personal injury cases.
Let’s Talk about Your Rights – Contact Us
Call us today at (602) 240-5525 to learn more about your rights and receive professional advice regarding your case by setting up a free, no obligations initial consult with our trusted attorneys.