30 Jun Arizona Ranks 4th for the Most DUI Arrests in the U.S.
About 1.16 million drunk driving arrests were made across the U.S. in 2013, according to the FBI. A recently published study conducted by Project Know took a closer look at these numbers, along with other data from the U.S. Justice Department, to rank the states in the U.S. based on how many DUI arrests were made in each state in 2013.
These findings revealed that Arizona is the fourth leading state for DUI arrests in the U.S. Specifically, this study found that, for every 10,000 motorists in Arizona, more than 61 DUI arrests were made in 2013 (the most recent year for which complete data is available).
This put Arizona just behind the Dakotas and Colorado as a leader in DUI arrests.
Which States Had the Least DUI Arrests?
On the opposite end of the spectrum, the states that had the least DUI arrests, according to this study, included:
- Alabama, where less than 1 DUI arrest was made for every 10,000 drivers in the state
- Delaware, where less than 4 DUI arrests were made for every 10,000 drivers in the state
- Illinois, where also less than 4 DUI arrests were made for every 10,000 drivers in the state.
It’s important to note here that the fact that there were less recorded/reported DUI arrests for these states does NOT necessarily mean that less drivers are driving impaired in these states.
What this Ranking May Mean…
Although Project Know worked on this study in an effort to determine where the most DUI arrests are occurring (so as to better focus alcohol/addiction treatment resources), its findings may end up being useful in other ways, particularly when it comes to:
- Identifying which states may need to ramp up their DUI enforcement efforts
- Pinpointing the states where drivers are simply more prone to drive when impaired
- Figuring out where there may need to be more options for public transportation or alternative transportation (so that drivers have more options and are less likely to make the bad decision to drive drunk).
If such efforts were to be successful and no one with a BAC at or above 0.08 drove in the U.S., transportation safety advocates predict that at least 7,000 lives could be saved each year.
Are you surprised to learn that Arizona is a leader in DUI arrests? Or do you think the findings of this study could be helpful or useful in ways other than those noted above? Sound off on our Facebook & Google+ pages.
Phoenix Car Accident Lawyer at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
Have you or a loved one been hurt by drunk driver? If so, a trusted Phoenix car accident lawyer at the Law Office of Richard Langerman is here for you, ready to fight for your rights to compensation and justice.
To set up a free, no obligations initial consult with a Phoenix personal injury lawyer, call us today at (602) 240-5525 or send us an email using the contact form at the bottom of this page.
From our offices in Phoenix, we provide superior legal services and representation to clients throughout the state of Arizona.