20 Feb DePuy Hip Implant Settlement News: 1,400 More Claims May Be Settled
Today, the finalization of a major DePuy hip implant settlement may end up resulting in about 1,400 more lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson’s DePuy unit being brought to a successful resolution.
This DePuy hip implant settlement, which was officially announced by the Settlement Oversight Committee, reportedly totals about $420 million and marks the latest news in the ongoing multidistrict litigation that has been set up in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio (In Re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc., ASR Hip Implant Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2197).
While this DePuy hip implant settlement is not intended to resolve all of the pending claims against J&J, it will specifically pertain to cases involving plaintiffs who underwent revision surgery between September 1, 2013 through January 31, 2015.
Behind the DePuy Hip Implant Settlement: Allegations against DePuy
The recently announced multimillion-dollar DePuy hip implant settlement may end up being good news for some of the plaintiffs in this MDL. Nevertheless, it has taken some time for J&J to move forward with this offer, as the pharmaceutical powerhouse has been vigorously fighting hip implant lawsuits for some time now.
In particular, some of the allegations mounted against J&J’s DePuy in these cases include that DePuy:
- Failed to sufficiently test the safety and efficacy of its hip implant systems before marketing them as both safe and effective
- Failed to warn the public about the significant failure rates of these hip implant systems, as some studies have shown that failure rates for DePuy ASR hip implant systems are as high as 12 percent within five years of implantation
- Failed to take action to pull defective hip implant systems off of the market when it became evident that these devices presented serious risks to the public.
The Next Steps…
The DePuy hip implant settlement announced today is merely a proposal, which means that plaintiffs do NOT have to accept the offer if it will not sufficiently compensate them for their injuries and losses.
At this point, the next steps will be:
- For plaintiffs to review the details of this DePuy hip implant settlement with their lawyers
- To evaluate how many claims will persist through this offer
- To see if DePuy will make any further moves to resolve this litigation prior to trial.
Phoenix Product Liability Lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
If you or someone you love has been hurt as a result of using defective DePuy hip implants, the Phoenix hip implant lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman are ready to help you. Dedicated and experienced, our attorneys will fight to help you obtain the maximum possible compensation to cover your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively defending their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom against defense attorneys, corporate lawyers and insurance company agents alike. In addition to having extensive experience handling product liability cases, our attorneys are also skilled at overseeing motor vehicle accident lawsuits, insurance bad faith cases and various other types of personal injury cases.
Learn More during a Free Consult
Call us today at (602) 240-5525 to learn more about your rights and receive professional advice regarding your case by setting up a free, no obligations initial consult with our trusted attorneys.
From our offices in Phoenix, we provide superior legal services and representation to clients throughout the state of Arizona.