30 Nov Speeding and Car Accidents: A Look at the Facts (Pt. 2)
Picking up from where we left off in Speeding and Car Accidents: A Look at the Facts (Pt. 1), here, we will present some specific statistics regarding the impacts of speeding and the collisions this reckless behavior causes.
Speeding and Car Accidents: Some Statistics from the NHTSA
The following are some jaw-dropping statistics and facts regarding speeding and car accidents. This information was original compiled and published by regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- Speeding is a factor in about 1 out of every 3 motor vehicle accidents that occurs in the U.S. each year.
- Traffic accidents caused by speeding cost the U.S. more than $23 billion annually.
- This means that, every minute, speeding costs the U.S. nearly $44,200.
- For every 10 miles per hour that vehicles travel over 50 mph, the likelihood of being seriously injured, disfigured or killed in a motor vehicle accident doubles. This means that the risk of severe injury or death in a car accident doubles when vehicles travel 60 mph, quadruples at 70 mph, and so on.
- More than 60 percent of all fatal motor vehicle accidents that involve speeding take place on rural roads.
- About 60 percent of all fatal motor vehicle accidents that involve speeding occur during the evening hours (specifically, between the hours of 6 pm and 6 am).
- About 2 out of every 3 motor vehicle accidents that involve speeding also only involve one vehicle. This strongly suggests that driver errors in addition to speeding (like, for instance, driver intoxication or driver distraction) may also be involved in these accidents.
- Every month in the U.S., an average of about 1,000 Americans are killed due to speeding and car accidents.
Phoenix Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
You have a choice in the lawyer you hire to handle your claim, and the choice you make can affect the compensation you receive. Make sure that your lawyer has the ability and experience to handle your case. If you have been hurt in a car accident that may have been caused by speeding or another reckless behavior, the Phoenix auto accident lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman will fight to help you obtain the maximum possible compensation to cover your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively defending their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom against defense attorneys, corporate lawyers and insurance company agents alike. In addition to having extensive experience handling motor vehicle accident lawsuits, our attorneys are also skilled at overseeing product liability cases, insurance bad faith cases and various other types of personal injury cases.
Learn More during a Free Consult
Call us today at (602) 240-5525 to learn more about your rights and receive professional advice regarding your case by setting up a free, no obligations initial consult with our trusted attorneys.
From our offices in Phoenix, we provide superior legal services and representation to clients throughout the state of Arizona.