31 Oct The Scary Facts about Halloween Drunk Driving Accidents
Trick-or-treating, elaborate costumes and festive parties are all part of the fun of Halloween. Unfortunately, however, there can be a scary side to this fun, and it often comes in the form of impaired drivers.
In fact, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Halloween can be one of the scariest times to be on the road – either as another motorist or as a pedestrian. That’s because, as this data shows, on the average Halloween1, impaired drivers cause:
- More than 40 percent of the fatal traffic accidents that take place
- More than 1 in every 4 deadly pedestrian accidents that occur – What’s potentially more tragic is the fact that a significant number of the victims of these pedestrian accidents are children/young trick-or-treaters.
Avoiding an Accident: How to Safely Celebrate Halloween
So, if you and/or your loved ones will be out and about tonight celebrating Halloween…
Tell your little trick-or-treaters to:
- Always be on the lookout for cars.
- Stay on the sidewalk and only cross the street at designated spots, such as at crosswalks or intersections (i.e., rather than running across the road at any point).
- If you have to walk somewhere where there isn’t a side walk, stay as far away from traffic as possible and walk towards traffic so you can see vehicles coming your way.
- Be careful walking around driveways and parked cars.
- Find a ride or a place to stay if you have been drinking – don’t add to the problem of drunk driving on Halloween.
- Avoid distractions, buckle up and follow traffic laws.
- Drive at least 5 mph slower than the posted speed limit and be especially vigilant for children (particularly when driving between 4 pm and 10 pm).
- If you see other motorists on the road who may be impaired or just reckless, call the local authorities ASAP.
Tell us your plans for a safe and festive Halloween – post them on our Facebook & Google+ pages.
Contact a Phoenix Auto Accident Attorney at the Law Office of Richard Langerman
Have you or a loved one been hit by a drunk driver – or any negligent motorist on the road? If so, a Phoenix auto accident attorney the Law Office of Richard Langerman is here for you, ready to fight for your rights to compensation and justice.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively defending their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom against defense attorneys, corporate lawyers and insurance company agents alike.
To set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our attorneys, call us today at (602) 240-5525 or send us an email using the contact form at the bottom of this page. From our offices in Phoenix, we provide superior legal services and representation to clients throughout the state of Arizona.
1: “Average” being based on data aggregated/averaged over the past five years