16 Nov Underride Truck Accident Causes and Injuries
While any accident between a large truck and a passenger vehicle can be devastating and potentially deadly, underride truck accidents – in which cars slide under trucks and possibly become trapped – are among the most deadly types of truck versus car accidents. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 25 percent of all truck accident deaths are caused by underride truck accidents.
Among the reasons that these types of truck accidents are so deadly is the fact that, when cars hit the back or sides of larger trucks and slide under them, the point of impact is at or around the head level of the vehicle’s occupants. This means, that in many cases, the occupants of the passenger vehicle sustain serious, potentially fatal head injuries in underride truck accidents.
Causes of Underride Truck Accidents
Although a number of factors (such as poor weather and icy roads) can play a role in causing underride truck accidents, the following will generally significantly increase the risk these truck accidents:
- Broken tail lights on trucks, which can prevent other drivers from knowing when a truck is slowing down or has stopped
- Lack of safety guard railings on the backs and sides of trucks, which can prevent cars from sliding under elevated trucks
- Lack of reflectors on the backs and sides of trucks, which can prevent other drivers from seeing the frame of the truck at night or in conditions that offer poor visibility
- Truck drivers suddenly slamming on their brakes and/or passenger vehicle drivers following too closely behind trucks
- Truck drivers failing to use their indicators when changing lanes or turning, which can lead to an underride accident if a passenger vehicle driver continues driving straight and doesn’t notice the change in the truck’s motion.
If any of these factors causes an underride truck accident, injured motorists will likely be entitled to compensation for their injuries and losses.
Phoenix Truck Accident Lawyers
You have a choice in the lawyer you hire to handle your claim, and the choice you make can affect the compensation you receive. Make sure that your lawyer has the ability and experience to handle your case. If you have suffered from any type of personal injury and suspect that another party’s negligence or recklessness may be to blame, the Phoenix truck accident lawyers at the Law Office of Richard Langerman will fight to help you obtain the maximum possible compensation you deserve to cover your pain and suffering, lost wages, and medical bills.
For more than 25 years, our attorneys have been representing clients and aggressively defending their rights both inside and outside of the courtroom against defense attorneys, corporate lawyers and insurance company agents alike. In addition to having extensive experience handling motor vehicle accident lawsuits, our attorneys are also skilled at overseeing product liability cases, insurance bad faith cases and various other types of personal injury cases.
Our lawyers have a reputation for consistently and successfully protecting our clients’ rights and interests to ensure that they obtain the compensation they deserve. Because we accept cases on a contingency basis, you will pay no attorney fees unless we recover financial compensation for you. To learn more about your legal rights and receive a free initial consult, contact us today by calling (602) 240-5525.